Below ZERO is a financing forum for documentary films focusing on life in Polar regions.
The 10th edition of Below ZERO will be held during Tromsø International Film Festival on January 17-20, 2018. The forum allows filmmakers to present their documentary projects to investors from several countries, in order to provide funding for the selected films. Participating films can be focusing on culture, environment, resources, politics, climate changes as well as general human stories. The only absolute requirement is that the film is about life above the Arctic Circle or below the Antarctic.
Filmmakers from all over the world are welcome to submit their project – see further information and guidelines here.
Initiated by the regional North Norwegian Film Center, Below ZERO aims to develop more great stories from the Arctic, and to allow filmmakers to reach a larger audience. Held annually during Tromsø IFF and organized in collaboration with the European Documentary Network, the forum brings together filmmakers, producers, film organizations and investors.
At the 2017 edition the following financiers/commissioning editors participated:
• Jan Daae, DR Sales, Denmark
• Anders Riis-Hansen, The Danish Film Institute
• Pekka Uotila, Finnish Film Foundation, Finland
• Ralf Quibeldey, NDR, Germany
• Anna Svensson, SVT, Sweden
• Anna Birgersson-Dahlberg, SVT UR, Sweden
• Katja Härkönen, Filmpool Nord, Sweden
• Alexei Laifurov, 24 DOK, Russia
• Tore Tomter, NRK, Norway
• Aira Planting, NRK, Norway
• Ingrid Kristin Dokka, North Norwegian Film Centre, Norway
• Helle Hansen, Norwegian Film Institute
• Valérie Theobaldt, ARTE G.E.I.E, France
• Astrid Guger, Autlook Filmsales, Austria